Purpose: This procedure is to be used as guidelines for storing of all inflammable materials like paint, thinner, diesel, hardener.
Scope: Storage of paint & thinner
Responsibilities: Operational: Store keeper
Supervisory: Shift supervisor, Stores In charge
Overall: Production Superintendant
Operating Criteria: Handling and Storage of Inflammables
- Hazardous (Flammable materials) like Oils, Paints & Thinners to be stored in designated locations only.
- Locations should be properly labeled.
- Fire-fighting equipment shall be placed near the location and store personnel must be aware of fire Risks and fire fighting.
- Other Flammable stock should not be available near the Location (Minimum of 3 m away from boundary)
- Location should be away from Electrical panels & Hot work areas
- Location should not be on edge of narrow Fork Lift paths.
- Boundary should be marked in Red paint.
- Drums should not be stacked more than 2 nos vertically.
- Store in well-ventilated, dry place away from sources of heat & direct sunlight.
- MSDS to be displayed at points of Storage.
- All the storage areas should be identified using signage.
- Do not use Benzene / Diesel / thinner for cleaning hands.
Points of Checking:
- Container should be tightly closed.
- Do not use pressure to empty containers.
- All sources of ignition should be excluded from the areas of preparation and application.
- Smoking, Eating & drinking is prohibited in the storage and application areas of these flammables.
- Container should be closed & kept in upright condition.
Actions in case of deviations:
- In case of inhalation, move to fresh air, keep patient warm & at rest. If breathing is irregular & stopped give artificial respiration.
- In case of eye contact irrigate copiously with clean fresh water for at-least 10 minutes, holding the eyelids apart & seek medical attention.
- In case of skin contact remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water or use a recognized skin cleanser. DO NOT USE SOLVENTS / THINNERS.
- If accidentally swallowed obtain immediate medical attention. Keep at rest. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITTING.
- If any problems observed inform shift supervisor immediately.
- List of Chemicals
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Accident/Incident Reports
- Correction and corrective actions